Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Monday, March 11, 2013

She sang WHAT?!

Sometimes musicians like to cover songs by other musicians.

Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't.

Most of the time, you don't even realize these cover songs exist.

And in some cases, the songs are too deliciously random and must be shared with the world immediately.

Here are five cover songs you might not have known existed.

You're welcome. Happy Monday.

5. Britney Spears covers All That She Wants by Ace of Base


I'm starting you out light here. This cover is unexpected, but should come as no real surprise to any Britney fan. After all, her top hits which made her a star ten years ago were written by the man (Max Martin) who crafted most of the Ace of Base songs in the early 1990s. You can hear the influence. But it is interesting to give this song a whirl. Plus, she gives the song her own spin by changing the lyrics.


4. Miley Cryus covers Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

 
I'm not a huge Nirvana fan. I'm not even a huge Kurt Cobain fan. But being a teenager from the 90s, I know enough about the artist to understand that this cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit is sacrilegious. I'm totally serious. I don't even know where to begin.
 
First, this song represents a mournful generational sentiment that Miley Cyrus couldn't even begin to wrap her head around. So for her to prance around in a skimpy pop star bedazzled sex suit and sing this song to thousands of clueless 12-year-old girls is unfathomable to me. The day she decided to cover this song, poor Kurt died again. When he was alive, he was so troubled by the materialistic plastic meaningless crap consuming our culture in the early 90s, that he couldn't even swallow his own fame.
 
This song is basically Hannah Montana shitting on all that's sacred in the world and laughing all the way to the bank.
 
If that is my opinion, as a so-so fan, imagine the horror of Nirvana's real fans. The comments on the youtube page pretty much say it all.
 
 
3. Ozzy Osbourne covers Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees
 
 
I actually like this version better than the original.
 
 
2. Pat Boone covers Enter Sandman by Metallica
 
 
Unlike our friend, Miley, this smooth crooner isn't making a mockery of a beloved rock song, he's owning it. And it's fucking AWESOME.
 
If you're familiar with this Metallica song, then you, my friends, are in for a treat. This brassy big-band version of Enter Sandman is hysterical. Pat Boone sings the morbid lyrics with such confident pizazz, you could have sworn he cheerfully wrote this tune back in 1958.
 
I never knew a death-metal rock song could be so swingin' and so seemingly innocent. I suggest turning this song on at high volume, grabbing a glass of bubbly, and twirling around the dance floor with that special someone.
 
 
1. Alanis Morissette covers My Humps by the Black Eyed Peas
 
 
...holy shit.
 
 
What do you think of these covers? Which one is your favorite?

22 comments:

Melanie said...

I am SO mad right now that my computer at work does not have audio!!! I have to check this out when I get home!

Couture Carrie said...

Hysterical covers!
Love Alanis!

xoxox,
CC

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Hahahahahahaha....all I can say is hahahahahaha! I never knew these existed and I bet these artists are wishing people didn't know they existed either, hhahaha! Too funny!! xx

Shannon said...

I knew about Alanis (b/c I love Alanis!!) but the others were pure entertainment to me. Miley dong Nirvana...wow.

Barbara von Enger said...

So hilariously funny indeed.

Unknown said...

I dont have a lot of love for the 90s-having been a teen and then young adult in them BUT I do have respect for the grunge scene and Nirvana (although I dislike both)--what Miley did was all sorts of wrong. It was horrible-she cannot since at all and needs to be off the stage asap! Someone should have blocked her from being able to sing that song in public! O-M-G! The horror! xox

Tights Lover said...

Ah, Alanis. That just made my Monday f'n fantastic.

And yes...Kurt definitely rolled in his grave...but...according to an oral history of the Seattle scene that I read recently, Cobain might not have been as non-materialistic as he gets the credit for now. Apparently as soon as Nirvana blew up in the early 90s, he f'd the local record company (Sub Pop) over to sign a much more lucrative deal with one of the bigger record conglomerates. So there. Just thought I'd share...

Tights Lover said...

ps. As I was typing my last comment, I heard on the radio that Morrissey currently has pneumonia in both lungs. I found the timing interesting. Just thought you might like to know.

love jenny xoxo said...

I love the humps... the real song and Alanis' version - cracks me up everytime!!!

{love jenny xoxo}

Flore said...

My Humps is a very very good cover ! The others, well nice try, but... Miley Cyrus failed !

Alex Byer said...

Miley has upset me.

Sherin said...

Holy crap at the Alanis Morrisette version. Literally no other words.
Also I am also a so-so fan of Nirvana. My life can't deal with Miley's version of Smells like Teen Spirit. I don't know if it was the slutty outfit, the weird dance, or just her in general, but I'm pretty sure that was her taking a crap on Kurt Cobains grave.

Josie said...

HOW did I not know about that Britney cover? Brilliant.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

Oh to Be a Muse said...

LMFAO with that Alanis cover of My Humps. She is wonderful! I knew the lyrics to that song were poo-poo, but they sound especially bad when sang slowly. That was too funny.

And I'm pretty sure that the last person Kurt Cobain ever wanted to cover any of his songs (esp. SLTS) was Miley Cyrus. I wish she'd put on a shirt already.

Dina's Days said...

The douche chills I just felt all over my body left me semi-paralyzed when I watched Smells Like Teen Spirit. I could only watch about 30 seconds of this. I'm sharing this with ASAP. I've never heard of any of these. Seriously, I can't believe what I just watched.

A Very Sweet Blog said...

omg'd jen! i love ozzy osbourne's version of stayin alive. i NEVER knew! it sounds so good. this was very interesting. i didn't know!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

FASHION TALES said...

Whoa, how did I miss that Britney did this cover, haha! I do like some covers, but all are definitely not created equal. These are hilarious! :) At the moment there also seems to be loads of musicians covering other artist's songs ... but the one's that are still very fresh and on the rising charts.

Aditi SoSaree said...

Such an informatuve post. u r damn good Jenny.

Aditi
So-Saree
www.sosaree.blogspot.in

Chicago Chic said...

SO funny!! HAHA!

Unknown said...

Hahahaa .. How do you get this information???? So many of the topics I come across in your blog are things I never knew :)

I am following you. If you like my blog, it would be great if you follow back at:
http://everythingthatclicks.blogspot.com

little luxury list said...

I can definitely see the first cover but the second...hmmm.

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Alandre said...

I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com