Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Monday, June 15, 2009

My big fat Greek weekend

I spent the first half of my weekend with my parents. It wasn't a total migraine-inducing nightmare this time.

Besides playing tennis, watching old television shows, and arguing about useless crap, like we normally do, we also attended a charming little Greek festival held in a neighboring town. We go every year.

This year was like all the other years, which is okay, because it's usually quite quaint. We stood for an hour in the food line, which is like five miles long. Tired, sweaty, and starved, we finally arrived at the buffet. And what a buffet. Lines and lines of delicious, mouth-watering Greek cuisine. Buttery, fluffy pita bread stuffed with roasted lamb, fresh tomatoes, and creamy yogurt sauce. Tender grape leaves filled with minced meat and seasoned rice. Salads, mixed with crisp green lettuce, plump tangy olives, freshly grated feta cheese, sparkling cucumbers, and an olive oil dressing that will make you swoon. I could go on forever.



And don't even get me started on the dessert table. (Because this is bikini season, I will spare you those details. You're welcome).

While we stuffed our faces, we enjoyed a lively band playing traditional Greek songs and dancers, draped in colorful costumes. The beat was so catchy, I couldn't stop tapping my foot!



After every morsel was gone from our plates, my mom and I made a beeline for the little shopping booths. Since I am poor, I could only look. Sparkling diamond and sapphire necklaces twinkled in front of our eyes. I longed for a gorgeous flowing beige sundress I spotted, but sadly, I just couldn't afford it.

My mom pitied me and bought me this fab foot thong (except mine is pink):



Overall, it was a pleasant evening.

As for the rest of the weekend, I was unfortunately at work. I wasn't stuck in the office, however. I covered an early Father's Day makeover at a nearby salon and then interviewed a man at a nearby theme park after he walked 150 feet in the air on a metal wire (with NOTHING underneath to catch his fall). So it was mostly running around town for stories.

Not a bad weekend at all.
I hope everyone else had a pleasant one as well!

14 comments:

Cesc said...

I love Mediterranean food. It's way delicious!
I'm glad you had a great weekend; you totally desrve it.

xoxo
Cesc

Unknown said...

You play tennis? Woah. I didn't know that. haha. I play tennis too. :)
Anyways, you're lucky to have a great weekend.

Imogen said...

That sounds fun, I love tennis and greek salad and I think those costumes are very cool. I have a doll which is wearing a greek costume similar to that. Also, what a nice foot thong I've never seen one before but I like it a lot such a beautiful design.

Unknown said...

nice thong LOL. btw, your meal is so mouth watering.. yummm..

starbrained said...

:O
That food looks to good. I've never had Mediterranean food but now I really want some. :(

Angela said...

sounded like you had a fab weekend.

FASHION CHALET said...

food parties are always the best parties ;) sounds like a heck of a lot of fun was had! :)


x!!

Unknown said...

How fun. Greek food is my fave and I've always wanted to go to a big fat greek wedding.

Couture Carrie said...

Looks and sounds delish!

xoxox,
CC

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

love the foot bracelet!

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Damsels said...

that looks fantastc . the food i mean .. and thsoe kids look adorable
We Were Damsels

Thanks for the lovely comment we really appreciate you stopping by our blog

Vera said...

I love Greek festivals, they have one every year in Salt Lake City and I try to go whenever I'm in town. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Claire said...

Sounds like such a lovely weekend!!! I LOVE Greek food, so definitely best to avoid the dessert descriptions, hehe!

yiqin; said...

Wow, the boys look so cute.