Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Journalist. Mother. Bunny enthusiast. Pop culture junkie.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Goodbye, Valentine!

Well, I fixed my blog so everyone can comment. I'm not sure why it had been set to "registered users only." Sigh.

I'm really glad Valentine's Day is over. It's just an excuse for girls to get upset, whether you have a boyfriend or not. And I've never been really the kind of girl to get excited about it. I wish I could be like most girls and get really creative. Throw a party. Buy little gifts for everyone.

And the past four Valentine's Days for me haven't exactly been movie quality.

2006: My ex boyfriend created this lovely picnic for us in a garden near school. He made all the food, even cupcakes. And then it broke my heart to give him the silly Michael Buble love songs CD I had picked up in a rush from Hallmark ten minutes earlier. It ruined everything.
2007: Rian took me to Waffle House, where I was given a free plastic rose and waffle, while mournful country music played on the jukebox.
2008: Rian and I drove around everywhere, looking for a place to eat dinner. At every single place the wait was more than two hours. We eventually settle at this dismal, kind of scary Greek restaurant that only served platefuls of meat. Seriously, no veggies at all, not even salad.
2009: Rian and I ate turkey sandwiches on the living room couch while watching Slacker.

See? That's what its evolved to for me. And I had no makeup on.

Next year I'm boycotting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you didn't have to miss seeing your bf on Vday and instead got the pleasure of seeing him in a jail visitation room and could only touch and kiss upon entering and leaving the room. Still. It's a dumb holiday. If you can't pat attention to your sweetie and show love all the other days of the year, then you don't need to spend the money on over-priced commercial goodies. ~J